Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Me and my Mouth


Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

I wish I was better at that.

Lately, my mouth has led me into some uncomfortable situations.

My most recent New Testament class is a good example of opening my mouth too quickly. Without thinking, I asked my class to reconsider a theological position re: understanding the sovereignty of God.  Note to self, don't go there.

On Sunday morning a man in the congregation confronted me, yet again, about concerns he had with my area of church oversight.  As soon as he opened his mouth I knew mine would be opening soon thereafter.  I wanted to tell him to "bite me".  I didn't but I did I end up regretting what I said. 

Today I received an email from someone with high expectations.  Without thinking I pounded out a quick, angry, and articulate response challenging his assumptions of me.  Before hitting send I reread my response.  God spoke to me.  He recommended that I not send the email.  He suggested that I reword my response.

I took my hands off the keyboard, took a deep breath, and sent a light and openhanded reply.

I think my most recent interaction proves that an ability to read/rehearse words before you send/speak them is a valuable discipline.

If only my mouth typed words.  I might have a better chance of locking it down until I've taken a moment to respond appropriately.  

2 comments:

Luke said...

Ya, its tough when you challenge the status quo. Please don't stop, you must be doing something right.. I sometimes am surprised I don't see more people challenge you.
I remember someone being absolutely livid with Claren and some visiably angry people when the chruch had the lady working with some homosexual ministies thing speak. It was quite effective. You guys don't have it easy, thats for sure.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being honest and tranparent. Keep going for God, change is on the horizon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails