Sunday, April 25, 2010

Where have all the pastors gone?


Yesterday I participated in Emmanuel Bible College's graduation ceremony. Since I'm an adjunct instructor I donned my black robe and red, white and gray hood, marched through the gathered crowd with the rest of the faculty, and took my place on the platform overlooking the assembly of friends, family and supporters.

As I watched graduates stride proudly across the stage I listened to the Academic dean share each of their future plans with the rest of us. Here's what struck me: first, very few students were accepting paid roles in congregational leadership. Second, there was not a single graduate from the B.Th - Pastoral studies program.

So, here's my question: where are all the young pastors?

Is the church failing in their responsibility to raise up young leaders or are young leaders disinterested in ministry within the "church-as-we-know-it"?

This whole issue wouldn't be so bizarre if there wasn't a blatant need for more pastors.

Anyone have any answers?

2 comments:

Mat Snyder said...

Dan Riddolls and I had a big discussion about exactly that yesterday afternoon.

My reason is primarily the second option. What congregations desire in a pastor is pretty different from what I understand a pastor to be. I wonder if I can't see myself in that formal ministry setting because of that.

oncoffee said...

It's a mixture of the two; but probably more of the 2nd, with the added complication of unrealistic expectation place on pastors.

We had a creative, godly couple in our church, who got run out of youth ministry because he did such a good job of reaching people who were outside the church and bringing "those people" into the youth group. All the adults really wanted was babysitting for their kids. Sad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails