Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Reflecting on Dallas Willard's recent passing from life to Life

Last week I heard the news first from Erika: Dallas Willard died today.  I was shocked and saddened.

Although I never had the chance to meet him, I consider him to be one of my mentors and pastoral guides.  I've read a handful of his books and, while biking into work, I often listen to his podcasts/iTunes U lecturers.

Some of his ideas and definitions have become permanently embedded in my mind:

"A disciple is one who is with another, learning to be like him or her"

"Grace is not opposed to effort it's opposed to earning.  Effort is action, earning is attitude."

"I think that, when I die, it might be some time until I know it."

I could go on and on but I won't.  You'll just have to pick up one of his books or listen to one of his podcasts to hear for yourself.

In the meantime, here are two Christianity Today articles that offer some insight into Dallas' character and legacy.

Tribute by John Ortberg

Remembering Dallas by Richard Foster (former pastor)

I look forward to meeting him at the resurrection.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails