Friday, July 2, 2021

Emmanuel Bible College alumni profile

I'm honoured to be featured in my alma mater's monthly e-newsletter. Special thanks to EBC's talented Director of Messaging and Communication, Kaija Hutteri for her masterful editing. Unfortunately, the most important aspect of my EBC days was sadly omitted: the Football Committee!


Jason Mills

Alumni Profile

Jason Mills
Bachelor of Theology in Christian Ministries (2000)

Jason Mills felt God’s call to pastoral ministry after a missions trip to Jamaica as a teenager. Emmanuel Bible College seemed like a natural choice, as his youth leader and several pastors he knew had been students. 

“EBC offered me leadership opportunities and mentors,” says Jason, who served as residence advisor, worship team leader and student council president during his time at Emmanuel. “I learned many leadership lessons through failure. I would not have survived my first years of ministry without Olu Peters. He mentored me beginning in my third year at EBC and helped me find my first pastoral role.”

Jason says that a number of faculty members had a lasting impact on him. He recalls Bob Tees demonstrating the power of stories in forming community while reading C.S. Lewis around a campfire at student life retreats. He credits Virgil Gingrich with teaching him to “preach to inspire faith” and instilling in him the merits of staying active and healthy as a pastor.

Jason served in several ministry positions after graduating, including as co-pastor of Calvary EMC in Owen Sound and Blue Mountain Community Church in Thornbury and both worship pastor and lead pastor of Hanover Missionary Church. Jason’s wife, with whom he had the opportunity of co-pastoring, is now the chaplain at the Collingwood General & Marine Hospital. His daughter begins her third year at Tyndale this fall, and he enjoys running with his teenage son.

“My family is amazing,” says Jason. “God has truly blessed me!”

Today Jason is finishing up his PhD in theological studies from the University of St. Michael’s. His dissertation examines the challenges of teaching virtues while educating pastors online. He also serves as a reservist military chaplain and is working on a research project that focuses on soldiers who feel their life is without meaning.

2 comments:

Tim Good said...

I KNEW it was fake news that you didn't says anything about football ;)

The Gentile Rabbi said...

Good eye Tim! I also seem to remember a lanky, goatee-sporting, bass-playing RA from another floor who made quite an impression on me as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails