Friday, August 6, 2021

Four long and hard years

If you've been following my blog for a while you will likely know that I started my PhD in Theological Studies at the U of St. Michael's back in the fall of 2017. At that time COVID-19 did not exist, my Dad was alive (and well), I had just started co-pastoral ministry with my wife, and I had no idea whether I would be able to survive doctoral studies after being away from the academy for over ten years.

Now, after almost four years, my PhD journey is (hopefully!) soon to be over. After submitting my dissertation to the Graduate Centre for Theological Studies (GCTS) at the end of April I've been waiting. Last week I received an email (and phone call) informing me that a date has been set for my oral defence, September 8, 2021. If all goes well I will be able to graduate this fall.

I do not feel like the same person I was four years ago. I feel more confident as a researcher and writer but far less sure about most other things. I carry scars, mainly from my Dad's death, that may take a long time to heal. Writing the dissertation and the events that swirled around has been one of the most difficult seasons of my life so far. I did not expect the brutal toll it took on me. 

Thankfully, I have been loved through it all. Loved by my wife and our two children. Loved by my Dad. Loved by my Mom. Loved by those who supervised me and many that served alongside me. I've been loved by my friends, both old and new, and loved by God. 

In times of trouble scriptures were helpful, mainly ones I had memorized in my younger days of pastoral distress. "I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened..." (Eph. 1:18). How good to hear the eternal voice of God speaking in moments of need.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails