Friday, December 10, 2021

Canadian Soldiers and Spiritual Well-being

I'm hoping to conduct qualitative research among Canadian soldiers who are training in Meaford, ON. The crux of my study will be learning more about army trainees who disclose things like "my life has no meaning and purpose" or "I have trouble forgiving myself". Those are just some of the possible responses on a survey looking at spiritual health and well-being. 

 In order to do research with human subjects who are military members I needed to get approvals from various bodies. I had to get the go ahead from Canada's Deputy Minister of National Defence because my research is considered Public Opinion Research (POR). A also had to get a nod from Canadian Army leadership. The first two approvals are complete. Last week I met with the Social Sciences Research Review Board (SSRRB) on MS Teams. The SSRRB is a group of defence scientists who review research on human subjects from an ethical point of view. If my research proposal gets the green light from this board then I will be able to start conducting research.

This continuum will be the starting point. It is a tool promoted by the Royal Canadian Chaplain Service (RCChS) as a means of spiritual well-being self-assessment. I want to use this continuum as a conversation starter with those who are interested in talking to me about their responses. I'll be interested in hearing about their rationale and experiences that lead them to identify with statements on the continuum. If all goes well and I get SSRRB approval I will begin the research project in January, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails