Sunday, February 6, 2022

More on Prayer

In learning to pray, I've been reliant on some saints from the past. This week, two in particular.

The writings of Trappist monk, Thomas Merton, have been peeling back the skin of my God-directed petitions, showing that it's actually my response to God's action (or perceived lack thereof) that forms the basis of prayer. We recognize our nothingness in the presence of God's everything:

"Prayer is inspired by God in the depth of our own nothingness. It is the movement of trust, of gratitude, of adoration, or of sorrow that places us before God, seeing both Him and ourselves in the light of His infinite truth, and moves us to ask Him for the mercy, the spiritual strength, the material help that we all need." (Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island, 43)

Julian of Norwich, a Middle Ages ascetic, has opened my imagination to see myself in relationship to the Trinity. She received "showings" (visions) from God and writes about them and her reflections on them. I've found her depictions helpful as I envision what dwelling "in" God or God "in"dwelling me looks like:

"We ought to take great joy that God dwells in our soul, and even more joy that our soul dwells in God. Our soul is made to be God's dwelling place, and the dwelling place of the soul is God, that is unmade." (Julian of Norwich, Revelation of Love, Chapter 54)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails