Sunday, December 4, 2022

Spiritual Theology

I have been teaching Spiritual Theology in the college this semester. It's a first year course focused on learning how to live Christian theology in the world. We've talked about spiritual disciplines, money, sex, and power. We've also taken time to read excepts from the writings of long dead saints. It has been amazing.

The best part has been hearing how the students are processing the ideas that arise in the class. They have inspired me to look at things from a different perspective and I suspect I've done the same for them. This past Tuesday I divided students into two groups and asked them to prepare for Thursday's class but researching one of two approaches to handling Scripture: one group was asked to look at traditional Bible Study methods while the other was invited to dig into Lectio Divina. On Thursday they squared off in a lighthearted debate about which approach is better. There were so many excellent perspectives raised on both sides!

This week is our final week of class and I'm sad it is coming to an end. I celebrate meeting and growing with the Spiritual Theology students. After Christmas I get to do it all over again with a whole different group of students as I teach a totally new subject, public speaking.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails