Sunday, May 5, 2024

Gathering submission information from target presses and determining my book's fit

In my ongoing venture of preparing to pitch my book to a publisher, I am starting to shift my attention from finding presses that align with my book's subject area to creating a digital file which includes email contacts and submission guidelines for each.

If you don't know anything about this process, let me enlighten you. It is probably important to know, not all academic presses operate the same way. Special shout out to Julia K. Kostova and Patrick H. Alexander who wrote a little book called Building a Scholarly Career: The ATS Guide to Religious and Theological Publishing. Kostova and Alexander describe in detail the many types of publishers in the field of theological publishing. Their book even includes a helpful 11 x 17 spider diagram outlining a taxonomy of presses. The book groups dozens of presses into nine different categories. Drawing on Kostova and Alexander's work I will describe only three of their categories, those most relevant to my project. 

Press Categories

1. University Presses

Cambridge University Press | EIFL

University presses, like Oxford or Cambridge, are not-for-profit publishers of scholarly books. They are committed to the process of academic peer review and potential books are approved by a board comprised of faculty members from the university. 

2. Non-denominational Presses

 Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company Bookshop

Non-denominational presses, such as Eerdmans, Baker Academic, IVP Academic, etc., are for-profit companies that are committed to religious and theological publishing. They are not affiliated with a specific denomination or religious group and usually publish both scholarly and non-scholarly books.

3. Commercial Religion

 Routledge - Wikipedia

Commercial presses, like Wiley, Routledge, or Bloomsbury, publish religious and theological books as well as books in the social sciences and humanities. Their audiences can be quite large. They have traditionally focused on selling reference works to libraries.

Within each of these categories I compiled a short list of presses to approach. Getting to know each press gives me better sense of how my book might fit. This week I started drafting statements about how I think my book aligns with the mission and repertoire of each press.

Gathering Submission Information

With my narrowed list of presses I scoured each of their websites in search of two things: submission guidelines and contact names. I want to know what editors are looking for in a proposal package and who to contact when the time comes. While non-academic authors generally need an agent to pitch their work to a press, most presses accept unsolicited manuscripts from academic authors. Some publishing houses have generic email addresses and a bulleted list of items to include in the proposal; others have the names and contact information of their acquisitions editors, those who were work authors to bring new books into presses, for authors to contact directly. While all presses have acquisitions editors, some make it easier than others for new authors to contact them directly.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails