Friday, September 4, 2009

Learning @ Home


For those who don't follow my wife's blog, you may not know our big news: we've decided to homeschool.

In typical 'Jason & Erika style', we made a snap decision last week. It came after years of conversation about whether the public system was an ideal learning environment for our children. Last week, we knew the time had come.

The actual curriculum will arrive next week but we've already changed our routine. I had today off from church work so I helped Shawna learn the names of the Provinces, Territories and their capital cities. At the same time, I toiled with Elijah to correctly order cards with numbers on them, from smallest to largest.

But that's not all; we went beyond normal school work into the world of domestic responsibilities:

Shawna learned how to work the washing machine and hang laundry on the line. And Elijah? He learned how to handle weeds.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I was homeschooled until I went to Gr. 9, and I absolutely loved it! I wouldn't change the experience for anything.

The Gentile Rabbi said...

Thanks Bethany,

I hope my kids will say the same.

Anonymous said...

my dad and i calculated the amount of time taken out of my day to transfer classrooms, eat lunch (which doesn't take an hour by the way) and ride the bus. when kids say that school is a waste of time, they're not exagerating! i waste approximately 230 minutes (over 3.5 hours)everyday doing these things. and as you've proved, you learn so much more from experience than you do from a text book. having your kids at home gives you unlimited time to teach them practical life skills, and most of all, just spend more time with them. i think you've made a very wise decision, and i know your kids will thank you later.

Related Posts with Thumbnails