Friday, September 5, 2008

The key and the keys


I'm always amazed when big box store customer service associates use first person language when referring to their products.

It makes me feel like I'm buying something from a likable individual who is just squeaking by on their monthly payments, not a multi-billion dollar, money hungry, corporation whose only interest is the bottom line.

Ownership.  I think that's the key.  

When someone is given ownership then they are empowered to act with authority.  When ownership is withheld then people will do either 1 of 2 things:

1.  Quit
2.  Outwardly comply while seething inwardly.

When I look at the example of Jesus I see someone who had everything to lose by giving ownership to a bunch of fumbling, spineless, uneducated followers.  But he did it anyway (Matt. 16:19).

As a leader I want to give ownership, not orders. 

 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is just so much easy for leaders to give orders than ownership but I definitely like where your going with this.

Something to ponder more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails