Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Institutions vs. Movements


Tomorrow is the conclusion of the Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada national assembly.

That means I get to see my family after being away from them for 4 days straight.

I've met a lot of great people and I've been inspired to follow Jesus.

In a quiet moment I snuck away to my hotel room and read some of a book called The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch.

Here are a couple of statements that stand out to me:

"God's people are more potent by far when they have little of what we would recognize as church institution in their life together."p. 23

"All great missionary movements begin at the fringes of the church, among the poor and the marginalized, and seldom, if ever, at the center." p. 30

They are fairly bold statements.  Convicting.  Especially the second. 

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails