Sunday, May 31, 2009

Shivering in the shed


Where is God when disaster strikes?

That's one of the conversation topics we'll be tackling at tonight's coffeehouse gathering.

The whole "you never know when things are going to turn bad" thing is a running theme these days at HMC. 

This morning we held all three of our services in the church shed.  Normally the shed houses the bus and some odds and ends.  Today it was used as a massive illustration for the question of the morning: would we still love and serve God if we lost everything?  Paul (HMC youth pastor) talked about Job and he used the financial meltdown in North America to challenge us to store up kingdom of God treasures, which are eternal rather than material wealth, which evaporates quickly in a bear market.

So, if you want to have a conversation about this theme, why not join us tonight at the White Rose Coffeehouse in Walkerton @ 7pm.  It's open to everyone and I promise it'll be warmer than the s-s-s-s-shhed.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I enjoyed the ch-ch-chilly youth service in the shed. It really made me think...where am I storing my treasure? I think Paul and the youth made a lot of great points. I loved the concluding drama as well....too often I know I let so many worthless things take up my time and get in between Jesus and I.

Leslie Puiras said...

What a neat idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails